Monday, November 14, 2016

Thanksgiving!


Because we do not live near our families, I plan on cooking the whole meal for Thanksgiving. No potluck style dining or anything like that. So, here is my menu! As it gets closer, I will also share my fall tablescape! (If all goes as planned!)

This year we will be smoking our turkey, and all things smoker, my husband is in charge of. So as far as that specific recipe -it is still in the works.

Turkey
But, a great and easy recipe (especially if you haven't cooked a turkey before) is a good ole Reynold's Oven Bag. I've made many turkeys and you just can't screw one up in a bag. Here is a very easy recipe to follow.

Sides
As far as sides go, I like tradition.
Stuffing (or dressing rather because I will not eat the inside of a turkey...)
*Every other year I have bought my own sourdough and wheat bread, cubed it and toasted it for my stuffing. This year, I'm hoping to save some time but still achieve a higher quality stuffing. The attached link is the recipe I have made in past years. I plan on buying 2 boxes on plain old Stove Top Turkey or Sage Stuffing and making according to package. Once cooked, I'll toss in the cooked sausage, chopped apples and craisins. Then bake until a little toasted on top. But the original recipe is fantastic, (minus the turkey liver....) I just don't want to stand in the kitchen for quite as long this year. :) Hopefully it turns out well!



*I cheat and buy the Knorr brand of brown gravy, use a little turkey drippings in place of the liquid on the recipe. *
**Can be made ahead of time**




*can be made ahead of time* 


Green Bean Casserole
*Cream of mushroom soup weirds me out, so this recipe is from scratch.*



Rhodes Rolls
because they're delicious and carbs are my favorite. Obviously. 


Desserts
*make ahead*








I'm really trying to talk my husband into having some kind of chocolate pie but he loves his classic Pumpkin Pie... but if I get my way... Chocolate Chip Pie!!




I mean, are we really debating on this??? 😍


Drinks





Grocery List

I'm being naughty and including the ingredients for all 3 pies... Mostly because I can't decide if the Pecan Pie Cheesecake is worth the price and effort... So if I decide to go a different route, I'll just scratch those ingredients off the list. But for now-

Produce Area
1 Golden delicious apple
1 Granny smith apple
1 Braeburn apple
7-8 Potatoes
3lb Sweet potatoes
1 Small onion
1 Garlic bulb
1 and a half pounds green beans (or 2 cans)
1 Mushroom package
Fresh cranberries
1 Sprig of rosemary


Middle of the Store
Dried cranberries
2 boxes Stove Top Stuffing
Gravy mix
Cinnamon
Ground cloves
Ground ginger
Brown sugar
Flour
Pecans (about 4 cups)
Mini Marshmallows
Chicken broth
Panko breadcrumbs
French's Fried Onions
Sugar
Vanilla wafers
Dark corn syrup
Vanilla extract
1 (15oz) canned pumpkin
1 (12oz) evaporated milk
Semi sweet chocolate chips
Hot fudge sauce
Club soda
White grape juice

Cooler Section
Butter. lots of butter.
5 Cream cheese blocks
Milk
Eggs
Half & half
Heavy whipping cream (2) or
Cool whip
2 - 1" deep pie crusts
Vanilla ice cream
Rhodes rolls

Meats
Turkey (see the bottom for the size of turkey for your needs!)
1lb ground breakfast sausage

Alcohol
1 Bottle of Pinot Grigio



Happy Shopping!!! 

-The Cheap Mama

***Remember- everyone will remember the company and conversation before the food and decorations for years to come. So relax and enjoy the holiday! Pull out some cards or games. Maybe grab a 2nd or 3rd bottle of wine!
Also, if you're hosting a large gathering, I can almost guarantee you that no one will care if you use throw away aluminum baking dishes, paper plates or plastic cups! Just make sure you get paper plates that can hold all the food. ALL the food 😋.
Easy clean up and one less thing to worry about!




No comments:

Post a Comment